As a product of Opel’s latest design language the Meriva shares a number of its design elements with the Opel Astra and all new Astra GTC, particularly the blade motif in the body sides. A distinctive wave introduced to the belt-line adds a unique visual character to the Meriva while at the same time improving visibility and imparting a sense of space. The Meriva has its own defined personality remaining clearly a member of the latest generation of the Opel family.
The profile of the Meriva is distinguished by the distinctive wave belt-line, a feature that provides a hint to the practicality of the rear FlexDoors that open rearwards. A low rear window line provides for excellent visibility, especially for rear seat occupants, very often likely to be children. Getting in and out of the Meriva is a straightforward operation. No more twisting or sliding across the seat, adults and children alike simply step straight into the rear space of the Meriva when getting in or out of the vehicle in a natural movement. The FlexDoors, rearward opening doors, provide excellent access to the vehicle.
As with the exterior design, the interior of the Opel Meriva has an expressive and emotional design. Working closely with the engineering team, the interior designers and stylists have used a low and forward mounted instrument panel to enhance the feeling of spaciousness. The sweeping lines of the wing shaped facia extend into the front doors to create a wraparound effect for front seat occupants, another distinctive Opel styling cue.
Visibility for the driver is excellent courtesy of the narrow shape and placement of the A pillars and the incorporation of large quarter lights. The centre stack that houses infotainment and ventilation controls is ergonomically designed to provide an excellent view of displays and ease of access to the various controls. Major information displays are positioned close to the driver’s natural line of sight.
The choice of interior materials and the fit of interior panels is typical of vehicles in a class above the Meriva and provide a sense of quality. Carefully selected finishes for air vents, gearshift and the centre stack controls add to the feel of overall quality.
The Opel Meriva is fitted with Opel’s advanced technology 1.4 litre turbocharged petrol engine. This latest generation engine produces maximum power of 103 kW @ 4900 – 6000 r/min with peak torque of 200 Nm delivered in the range of 1850 – 4900 r/min. Strong performance with excellent flexibility is the focus of the 1.4T engine. The 0-100 km/h dash is achieved in 10,3 seconds with acceleration from 80 to 120 km/h in fifth gear accomplished in 12,5 seconds. Top speed is a brisk 196 km/h. Fuel consumption is a remarkably low 6,7 l/100km for the combined cycle as measured by Opel test engineers. CO2 emissions are measured at 196 gm/km.
Power is transmitted to the front wheels via a six-speed manual transmission. A wide spread of ratios available from the six-speed configuration allows for brisk acceleration as well as relaxed open road cruising.
The Opel Meriva is offered in either the Enjoy or Cosmo trim levels.
Specifications for the Enjoy trim level includes:
• Colour keyed door handles and bumpers
• Tinted windows
• Daytime running lights
• Remote door locking with immobiliser
• Powered, heated door mirrors
• Follow me home lights
• Telescopic and tilt adjustable steering wheel
• Height adjustable driver’s seat
• Electrically powered front windows
• Electric park brake
• FlexRail console with tray/cup holder
• Puddle lights at base of B pillar
• 12 volt outlet in centre stack
• 12 volt outlet at rear of centre console
• Ambient light in centre stack illuminating console
• Triple information display
• Air conditioning with particulate filter
• CD300 radio with MP3, Aux in, and four speakers
• 16 inch alloy wheels fitted with 205/55 R16 tyres with space saver spare
• Full suite of electronic driver aids
• Front and side airbags for front seats
• Full length curtain side airbags
• 2-way active head restraints for front seats
The Cosmo trim level adds the following features:
• Leather steering wheel with bezel and satellite audio controls
• FlexRail centre console with armrest
• Illuminated vanity mirrors
• 17 inch alloy wheels fitted with 225/45 R17 tyres with space saver spare
• Sill plates front and rear
• Body colour door handles with chrome accent
• 3D instrument cluster with chrome accents
• Full body colour side mirrors
Both the Cosmo and Enjoy models have the following features:
• Front fog lamps
• Cruise control
• On-board computer
• Power windows front and rear
Warranty cover is for 5-years/120 000km with anti corrosion warranty cover provided for 5-years unlimited km. A 5-year/90 000km service plan is included in the price of the new Meriva. Service intervals are 15 000km.
|Model||Price (incl. VAT)|
|Meriva 1.4T Enjoy||R234000|
|Meriva 1.4T Cosmo||R254000|
Please note listed prices are recommended retail prices and are subject to change without prior notice.